Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My Personal Code of Ethics as an ADF Priest



  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to maintain reasonable hospitality; as both host and guest; with the Earth Mother, the Kindreds, the People and all others in my life.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to maintain pious relationships with the Earth Mother, the Kindreds, and lay-persons alike at all times.
  •  As ADF Clergy I will strive to at all times conduct affairs with as much integrity to my values as reasonably possible where my role as spiritual leader is required.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to maintain clear vision before the Kindreds and laypersons so I can best serve both the Kindreds and the People alike.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to broaden my knowledge and understanding so I may advice and education the People with wisdom in regards to the Kindreds and right actions toward and for both.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to live a life of moderation that will benefit my mind, body, and spirit while allowing for fertile growth for myself, the Earth Mother, the Kindreds, and the People.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to persevere through whatever obstacles should stand in my way of serving the Earth Mother, the Kindreds, and the People.
  • As ADF Clergy I will strive to follow these principles with courage so I can be an example for others who are part of our path and for those outside of our tradition.

 Creating this Clergy Code of Ethics was honestly one of the easiest parts of the Clergy Training Program for me. As an ADF Dedicant I became entranced with the Nine Virtues and how they very easily applied to life. In my Dedicant Path work I talked about how many of the Nine Virtues worked hand in hand with others. I also found that much of what the Nine Virtues offered I already worked hard to live by. Deriving this Code has been a journey I started years ago when James Lock invited me to my first ADF Druid ritual. They will continue to evolve, change, and be added too as I grow into the role of ADF Clergy until the day I step from this world into the next. 


Applying them to a Clergy Code of Ethics is just another step to reaffirming what I already strive to do in my daily life. A lot of that is because I do not see being a Druid Priest as something that ends when ritual or an event ends. It is not a mantle that can be taken off and put back on. For me, it is one that is a calling and lifelong. When I chose to take up the calling to work towards being a Druid Priest and ADF Clergy I did so with the personal expectations that I would live my life reflecting these values. I also believe that it is very important to remember that our values should always apply to every aspect of our lives and to every being we come into contact with. Through consistent application we begin to truly live them. In truly living them we begin to reshape the world around us, which is the most pious magic a Druid can hope to achieve in life. 

No comments: