Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Selecting what to grow...

          The first thing I am going to do is decide what foods and herbs I want and CAN grow in pots on my patio and sidewalk area. This is important because  most apartments will allow for potted plants but not an actual garden. I have been doing herbs for several years now so I will be adding a few more selections this year.

          The following is the list of both vegetables and herbs I want to grow this year, all of which WILL grow in pots. Given enough sun, water and nutrients most plants will grow just fine.

Vegetables:

  • Asparagus (even using the 2 year old root systems I found will not be ready until next year)
  • Broccoli
  • Brusselsprouts
  • Cabbages
  • Cucumbers
  • Leeks
  • Lettuces (various kinds)
  • Spinach
  • Squashes (bunching versions)
  • Tomatoes (various kinds)
Herbs:

  • Basil (various kinds)
  • Dill
  • Garlic (various kinds)
  • Mint (various kinds - already have 3 kinds. Mints are perennial.)
  • Oregano (various kinds)
  • Parsley
  • Rosemary
  • Sage (various kinds)
  • Thyme (various kinds)

No comments: