Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Axioms: XVI. Law of Magical Names

“The Magician’s Companion: A Practical & Encyclopedic Guide to Magical & Religious
Symbolism”
Bill Whitcomb, 1997
Llyewellyn Publications

XVI. Law of Magical Names


In magical symbols systems, a name is the thing named. This is to say that, in some
way, there is an analogical correspondence between the name and the thing named.
There is a connection created by shared structure.
To know the true name of a person, place, or thing is to have complete control
over it. Of course, you could never command something to do anything which was not
in its nature.
To know a thing’s true name is to know its nature.

What most people consider to be a name is really (in the magical sense) only a
label.

I have always found this Law to be most interesting. So many times in our world we 'label' things believe that this is the NAME for it. Nope... it's just a label. Pagan round around saying 'my magical name is...' and then ask me why I do not use a magical name... well I do use one but you will NEVER know it. Only those I trust completely with my very soul know my true magical name. It is complete power and that is NOT something to give away so easily.

No comments: