Sunday, September 16, 2012

What Druidry is to me

          So I figured I would take the time to talk about my views are on what Druidry is. I talk about about my studies in Druidry but not really what I see Druidry being. Lets get started.

          Part of Druidry to me is learning. The ancient Druids were all about education. They were the law makers, the judges, the scientists, and teachers of their time. That to me should not change in the modern world. A good way to think about it is being a 'renascence' person, being well rounded in education. I spend a great deal of time studying and learning new things from law to science, art to music. The more I learn the more I am aware of the world around me, the differences and similarities to the people who live in it with me.

          Part of Druidry for me to learning to live in harmony with the earth. This is a challenge in the modern world that is so driven by consumerism. Everything in our lives consumes wither it is energy or resources. To help with my consumption of energy I have tried to find every possible way to cut down on its use. Some of the steps I have taken involve the use of different types of lighting options, keep my AC on 78 in the summer and on 69 in the winter. I turn off and unplug anything that is no in use. It is unbelievable how many devices we use that are vampiric, leeching energy constantly. I take shorter showers which means less energy to heat water. The level on my heat water heater turned down. As for using less resources, I use only rechargeable batteries which are recycled at the end of their lifespan. Shorter showers of course means less water. I use towels and wash cloths for cleaning instead of paper towels. I recycle everything I possibly can, though we are limited in our area on what the recyclers will accept. I use devices until they are no longer working, then recycle them, before replacing. There are so many things we can do to live in harmony, just need to find them.

          The other part to Druidry is the spiritual part. We work to find a spiritual connection and balance with the Kindred. The Kindred are the gods, the nature spirits, and the ancestors. Through making these connections we expand our souls and the relationships we have between the Kindred, the Three Realms, and the Three Worlds. We learn to live with piety  in our lives, to live by virtues that help guide us in our learning and day to day dealing with other humans. We learn mental discipline which allows is to take control of our thoughts, emotions, and our reactions to our lives.

          So as you can see Druidry can be multifaceted. And these are not the only ways I define Druidry but the most prominent. And the most important thing to know is that Druidry is a personal journey and evolution. I encourage everyone to take that first step to exploring this powerful spirituality.

No comments: