Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Daily Devotionals... a good way to touch the divine

One of the best ways to help get yourself connected to the cycles of life on a daily basis are through daily devotionals. I have a set of devotionals I perform each day that help me wake up in the morning, center my mind throughout the day and relax as the day ends. Though the prayers themselves become set words, it helps as a trigger for the mental and emotion state I am trying to achieve through these moments of worship.


Morning Devotionals

                Sun Rise Devotional

                As the sun rises refreshed and renewed, as do I rise into the new day.
               
                Prayer to the Kindred

                Through the Ancestors we gain courage.
                Through the Nature Spirits we find peace.
                Through the Gods we learn wisdom.

                Through the Kindred we are whole.

                Ganesha Devotional

                Great and noble Ganesha, wise and youthful dancing lord who opens the way for                
                humankind;
                I come before you, setting flame to candle and incense in your honor.
                I ask that you open the way for me and my own, that we shall traverse this life with the  
                ease of your love Blessed One!

                Chant:  ॐ गम गणपतये नम: (Om gam ganapataye namaha!) [performed 108's per set.]

Sunset Devotional

                As the sun sets upon another day, I release the worries and burdens that have done before.

Night Devotionals

                Hestia Devotional

                Lady of the sacred flames, you whose throne lives in the hearth of every home, I light this 
                flame in your honor and ask that you protect this home and all within its walls, fill it with   
               your radiant light. Glorious Hestia, always be the light in my heart.

                Demeter Devotional

                Demeter, warm golden wheat crowned queen of growing things, beautiful and radiant 
                goddess of purification, I light this flame in your honor, and ask that you teach me your 
                ways, and cleanse my soul from human frailties, that I may grow closer to divinity.

                Persephone Devotional

                Blessed daughter of Zeus and Demeter, shimmering light of spring, goddess torn between 
               two worlds,  you who are the queen of flowers, you are the queen of the Blessed dead, you 
               who were given the power of eternal life, I light this flame in your honor, Persephone, I ask  
               you teach me your ways of life, death, and life again so I may know eternity.

                Hekate Devotional
               
                Hekate, lady of torches, light in the darkness, I light this flame that you will shed your light 
                upon me.

                Hermes Devotional
               
                Hermes, swift and smiling lord, I give you this burning fragrance in offering, and ask that 
                you allow me to see and travel in dream. I ask that this flame ever light my way when I 
                return home.

               
                Libation Devotional

                Great Ones, Shining Gods and Goddesses,
                I come to you as in times of old, bringing libations, gifts to honor and soothe:
                White milk, sweet to drink from the animal sacred Hermes, the cow;
                Golden honey, the distillation of the bees that work on sweet Persephone’s blossoms;
                Holy water brought from source a pure spring;
                This refreshing, unmixed drink from the ancient vine, its mother Demeter the Goddess of 
                all growing things;
                And here the fragrant fruit of the pale green olive that lives its abundant life among the 
                leaves and light of Helios, the gift of Athena;
                These gifts I give to you in love and in respect, in friendship and kinship.
                Might Ones accept my offerings!
                Prayer to the Kindred

                Through the Ancestors we gain courage.
                Through the Nature Spirits we find peace.
                Through the Gods we learn wisdom.

                Through the Kindred we are whole.

                Bedside Devotional

                As darkness and rest fall upon the world I lay my head into the hands of the gods in perfect    
                love and in perfect trust until the light of dawn. Awen and Blessings Be!




No comments: